The above hyperlink includes the 2017 Adult Registration packet.
You need to have the free program ‘Adobe Reader’ installed on your computer to be able to open the PDF. It’s available for free at the following link:
If I volunteer, do I have to attend any special training classes?
Yes. In order to provide a quality program, all staff are required to attend MANDATORY pre-camp training. We will have a half day of training. Petaluma Day Camp Unit Leaders/Adult Volunteers training will be scheduled and announced shortly. Location information will be provided with your registration confirmation.
I can’t come for the full 5 days. Can you use me for a shorter period? OR, I can’t make it to the weekend training. Can I still help? Yes, we need pre-camp help, clean-up staff and part-time camp volunteers. Fill out the Adult Volunteer registration form and tell us when you are available and what you can do to help. For at-camp jobs, we request that you do work at least 2 days minimum. All jobs are eligible for some kind of camp rebate to help lower your camper’s fee. The trainings listed above is mandatory for all adults who will actually be on-site for any or all of the full week. Contact us if after you have received your confirmation should you have a conflict.
I can only work 2 days at camp and have a TagAlong camper. Can they come be in the TagAlongs unit for just those 2 days I am onsite?
No. Our TagAlongs unit is only for the campers of 3-5 days (all day) staff. We have a program planned for them in addition to the Girl Scout campers and can’t have several children coming and going from that unit throughout the week. Part-time volunteers will need to find other childcare options for the few days they are going to work at camp less than 3 days.
Why do I have to pay the full registration fee up front if I am just going to get a rebate/refund back for volunteering?
We require all campers to pay their complete fee before the June 1, 2017, deadline. Volunteers who work to earn credits back for their campers will receive a check within 4-6 weeks after camp ends (5 day volunteers). We do this to make sure that all adults keep their volunteer agreement and do the days/jobs they agree to.
I want to volunteer but if I get assigned to an older girl unit that has an overnight stay, I am not sure what to do with my Daisy/Brownie camper that night?
We can work with you on all these concerns. Adults who are working with older girl units who have an overnight opportunity during the week will be allowed to have their younger children spend the night with them. Their younger camper will need to stay in the tent with you and should not participate in program but would be able to stay by your side and watch. If that is not an option and you feel it would be best for you to go home at night, we can also work with you to get the adult ratio covered for the overnight but would like for you to stay for the after-camp activities and evening program and then leave at bedtime. Don’t let this be the reason that you don’t volunteer! We need you and can work through all of these tricky situations.
I have a special skill that I think Petaluma Day Camp could benefit from. Who do I talk to?
If you think you have a special skill that you could help to teach or share with the campers during the week, please contact us as soon as possible at our camp email firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to volunteer. Can I be the Unit Leader for my daughter’s unit?
We do try to put parents with their children in the same unit. However, if you wish, you may also let your daughter have her own independent experience in another unit and you’ll be able to keep an eye out from a discrete distance. This is an awesome, shared family experience, and many a ride home from camp is filled with non-stop chatter, laughter and songs!
The camp will first assign adults to units where they do have a child. If you wish to be in separate units, or your daughter is in Leadership but you would still like to volunteer at camp, we feel this is a good opportunity for you as a volunteer to get to know other girls and for your daughter to expand her horizons and learn from other adult volunteers. That being said, Day Camp is not located in a huge space and you will see your daughter throughout the week during different camp activities. If we are low on volunteers, it is possible that we may need to place you in the same unit but that is not our preference.
Can only the parent/guardian of a camper be a volunteer?
Everyone is welcome. Volunteer opportunities are open to all adults, not just Girl Scout leaders. Moms, aunts, college students, grandmothers and other adult friends are welcome! Day Camp volunteers are needed as Unit Leaders, First Aiders, and program support. Although you will need to register as an adult Girl Scout and have a background check, no prior experience in Girl Scouting or camping is necessary. We will give you lots of program ideas, training and moral support.
As a volunteer, do I need to register as a Girl Scout?
All volunteers are required to register as an adult Girl Scout (for insurance purposes), pay the $15 dues, complete a Volunteer Services Agreement (part of the Adult Registration packet) and a background check as described on the Girl Scouts of Northern California (GSNorCal) Council website:
A GSUSA Adult membership registration form (PDF format) is available:
WILL BE ADDED SHORTLY
After filling out your Adult Membership Form, mail it with your check for $15.00 (made out to GSUSA) to:
Ms. Sydney Newton – GSNorCal – North Coast Area
4825 Old Redwood Hwy
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
The following GSNorCal webpage provides additional information about volunteer screening and getting started on the background check process:
What are the benefits of staffing at Petaluma Day Camp?
• The beautiful site! Our camp is located in beautiful Petaluma. While the rest of the state is sweltering, our temperatures rarely exceed 80 degrees.
• The activities and fun! Did you love camp as a girl and wish you could go back? Or have you been forever scarred by missing out on the camp experience as a child? Are you tired of the serious adult world? Come join us and rediscover your inner child, as our adult volunteers are strongly encouraged to have as much silly fun as the campers!
• Not having to let go completely! Is your daughter ready for camp but you’re nervous about letting her go? This is the perfect solution! She will have her own independent experience (staff are never placed in the same unit as their child), and you’ll be able to keep an eye out from a discrete distance. This is an awesome, shared family experience, and many a ride home from camp is filled with non-stop chatter, laughter and songs!
• Guaranteed placement of staff/Unit Leaders kids! Every year, our camp fills up VERY quickly but we reserve spots in each unit for staff /Unit Leaders’ kids. Therefore, placement of staff/Unit Leaders’ kids is guaranteed until we are fully staffed.
• Discounted camp fees! Volunteers working 5 days (full time) at camp are eligible for a discount on your camper’s already-low registration fees. You will get a check back within 4-6 weeks after camp ends, crediting you for the days worked.
• The TagAlongs unit! All adult full-time volunteers who have toddlers from age 3-5 (even those going into Kindergarden Fall 2015) who are potty trained can come to camp and have a blast in our TagAlongs unit. TagAlongs participate in all regular camp activities AND have special things to do on their own. This unit is ONLY open to the children of full time (5 day – all day) adult volunteers. Your first TagAlong is free. Any additional TagAlongs are only $50 each for the week.
• Rubbing shoulders with remarkable women! The BEST adults volunteer to be Unit Leaders AND camp brings out the BEST in our volunteers! We LOVE our staff!
• The training! Most of our new Unit Leaders don’t believe us when we tell them that training is FUN! Especially when we add the word “mandatory”. But take our word for it, we all look forward to the training day as it is as much fun as camp itself!
How do I get more information? Email us your question at Petalumadaycampgirlscouts@gmail.com